[TenTec] Orion 565 AT Ver2.059

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Fri Nov 3 15:14:08 EST 2006

Jerry (KG6TT) said:
I am sorry, I simply don't get it. Once I fixed "my" problem with the audio
chain I have had absolutely no operating issues with version 2.059d. In fact,
it is the best performing Orion yet."

As N8RA said, I also find V1.373b5 to be much better for my use of the Orion. Some of the issues I find with the V2.059d code are:

1. The notch filters are outside the AGC loop so even though a signal is "notched out" of the audio passband it still pumps the AGC and desensitizes the radio.
2. The V1.373b5 Speech Processing provides 4-6DB more "talk power" then the V2.059j Speech Processing. This area was improved, IMHO, in the last release but is still woefully behind the V1 Speech Processing.
3. The AM receive bandwidth is too narrow in V2.059j to receive both the upper and lower AM sidebands so you have to receive using one sideband or a very narrow AM audio signal.
4. The audio level of the Aux output and the Headphone output is very low in V2.059j compared to other V2 releases - I think this was just a "muff." This requires me to use the Mic soundcard input for MTTY and makes it harder to adjust and makes the signals subject to greater noise pickup.
5. The CW QSK is much faster, 30%, on the V1 code then the V2 code.
6. The AGC operation seems much smoother in V1 then in V2. Not sure what the "envelope detection was supposed to do for the AGC but I don't think it was good??
7. The noise reduction on V2.059d does more attenuation then noise reduction. I find the V1 noise reduction better - although this is a marginal feature.
8. It now appears that there may be more "known bugs" - see recent post about sub-receiver being in AM mode - in V2.059d then in V1.373b5.
There is an RF spike on the transmit leading edge if you use the RX antenna input. There is an issue with the Orion computer connection output data speed - and others. Since my Orion had the 10 or 11 board upgrades done last month at the factory, V1 has performed with very good stability.

I know that many people don't use many of the features on the Orion, or any radio. And if you don't work in signal environments where you use a manual notch then you really don't care that it works like an audio DSP filter. If you don't listen to AM then you don't care that the bandwidth is too narrow. If you don't seriously work on SSB DX or SSB contesting then you don't care that the speech processing isn't as good on the V2 code and that the AGC appears to generate distortions and pops.  And on and on. On the other hand, as Barry (N1EU) said, I think there is still a lot of "unfulfilled potential" in the Orion. In some cases I think the lack of a V1 alternative, to compare performance, leaves the idea that "it is as good as it can get."

I am hoping to see the V3.xxx code one of these days with great overall performance!! But I would be very happy with an improved V2.XXX firmware release.
73,
Merle - W0EWM