[TenTec] A New Orion II owner

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 4 16:15:08 EST 2006

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and good advice.

I have downloaded the manual, but I'll be better able to understand
it with the radio in front of me.  I know that it will be far more
capable and versatile than my venerable '930S. The price for the
versatility and capability is complexity. I'm sure the learning curve
will be steep, but I knew that from the outset, so I think I'm ready.

The N4PY software looks very interesting and I'll have to give it a
try. That aside,  though, I want to be able to do manipulate as much
of the radio and realize as much of  its capability from the panel as possible.

Someone asked me if the radio's OS is open source, or if the source
code is available. I said I was sure that it was all proprietary. All
fine by me; I'm not into coding at the device interface level. I am
curious, though: is the source code in any kind of standard language,
or is it also proprietary ?

Cheers,

Kim Elmore, N5OP