[TenTec] Astron and TenTec rigs (Paragon)

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 5 15:10:51 EST 2006

I've had an Astron power supply for years, marketed under the name
"Westcom." It's an RS-35A. At one time, all my equipment was close to
my tower, which I shunt-fed for 160 m and when I used 160 m, the
power supply had all sorts of problems.  I removed the original
regulator board and replaced it with an "RFI-proof" regulator out of
the ARRL Handbook. The PC board is available from FAR circuits (I
doubt that it's still available as this was a long time ago). After
doing that, I never had another problem even at high power (which was
only about 700 W).  I concluded that the regulator board was simply
prone to RFI and I'd guess that this is the problem you're experiencing.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to experiment quite a bit to find the fix.

Kim Elmore, N5OP