[TenTec] Side tone

RM royalct at inr.net
Wed Nov 22 07:17:02 EST 2006

With my Heil headphones plugged into the Orion II's headphone jack I used to
get a 'coarse' side tone.  With the headphones plugged into my Icom SP-20
speaker's headphone jack the side tone was clean (speaker leads are
integrated with a ferrite core near the Orion's back panel).  Sounded like a
classic RFI issue.

Then, I took a RadShack inch long cylinder ferrite core, and wrapped two
turns of the Heil's headphone cord through it near the plug............No
more side tone coarseness when plugged into the Orion II, and never when
plugged into the Icom SP-20 headphone jack.

Have you considered RFI; since owning both an Orion 1 and II I've noticed
that the rig appears to be more sensitive to RFI when compared to my Icom's
775 and 765 (shack is up on the second floor......always had RFI issues that
had to be resolved.

Ron / NU1U