[TenTec] Omni VI first impressions

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sun Nov 26 04:48:50 EST 2006

Folks,

Thanks for all the helpful comments, both via the List and privately.

Concerning the "Disadvantages":

There was a consensus of replies that the variation of display brightness, and the "key up thump", seem to be "features" that other Omni VIs exhibit.

AGC characteristics, audio quality, and S meter calibration comments were generally under the heading "that's how it is" !

No-one seems to have my non-tunable "heterodyne(s)". I have listened to this a bit more carefully. At warm-up several heterodynes, one after the other, drift quickly through the pass band - all of them are non-tunable. Once the rig is stable, if I'm left with a heterodyne in the pass band it can be tuned out with PBT control. I don't mean "filtered out" with PBT; just a few degrees rotation of the PBT control around its mid position and the heterodyne rapidly moves in audio tone and out of the passband. If the PBT control is more than about 5 degrees away from its central position I never hear a heterodyne at all. I guess this must be some funny mixing product involving the15.3 MHz PBT oscillator.

The heterodynes are clearly audible above background noise, but they don't move the S meter and now I know how to shift them I can probably live with them.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Steve G3TXQ