[TenTec] Orion NB vs NR

Art k6xt at arrl.net
Fri Oct 6 00:55:56 EDT 2006

Re KH7T's post on NB vs. NR reproduced below:

If John's informative discussion results from my post and following
discussion, I want to specify:  There is no confusion at K6XT regarding
the difference between these 2 functions. On my O1 the NB works just
fine when I have the rare occasion to need it at my rural, largely
vertically-polarized-impulse-noise-quiet location with the occasional
electric fence pulses.

The NR so far leaves much to be desired and, I say again, is
significantly less effective than my Timewave DSP59+ (which has no NB
function at all). The Orion NR function inhibits good copy on weak
signal narrowband filter settings. I refer only to CW as I have no
experience tuning fone. Oddly, on my O1, even strong signal fidelity is
reduced because noise is somehow "added" to the signal with NR turned on
whereas the "added" noise is absent with NR turned off. Most intriguing.

I continue to experiment with AGC settings to see if AGC has something
to do with this. I want to thank K7HP for his information and
measurements. Hank implied that apparently there are 2 AGC loops, one of
which is not disabled when we users set AGC OFF. Listening to strong EU
stations on 40 CW this evening I confirmed that turning AGC off seems to
have little effect on the quality and quantity of volume. This is an
unexpected result. Traditionally, turning AGC off in the presence of
strong signals will overload either the ears or the receiver. But it had
no effect on the strong signals I was tuning, implying that the AGC OFF
setting isn't.

73 Art
k6xt at arrl dot net