[TenTec] Orion II worked great in Cal QSO Party!

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Sun Oct 8 22:44:03 EDT 2006

I did several hours in the California QSO Party this weekend (all SSB), which was the first real contest work-out for the Orion II and 2.037j software, and the results were spectacular...616 QSO's, 57 multipliers!  The new Speech Processor kicks out a wall of sound with a Heil HC5, especially with some pre-processing.  No hints of the front end getting clobbered, even on 75 meters at night where all the signals were huge, or on 20 where QRM was shoe-horned in everywhere.  Even the NB worked well with the big signals.  For the first time, I used the NR and it did actually help on some of the real weak ones on 15 meters.  No crashes, no problems...worlds better than my old TS-870 that I have used in previous years.

Now if we could only get that Notch inside the AGC loop...

Ron N6AHA