[TenTec] Titan III opinions wanted

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Mon Oct 9 19:33:54 EDT 2006

I had a Titan 425. Under pretty hard useage, i.e., contesting, DXing,
and high speed CW, the thing was like a tank. Worked really well and
very reliable. Today's 'problem' with that amp is the final tubes now
cost about $600 each!

Three years ago, I bought an Orion and a Titan 3. The first Titan 3
had a 'small' assembly problem that TT could not locate. After much
troubleshooting I located and fixed the problem. Then the power
supply board blew up twice within two weeks. I received a replacement
amp. This amp played well for about 11 months, were upon it started
eating the AC fuses while sitting on my desk, in STBY mode. After
many component replacements, tube socket,  tube replacement, and
installation of a different design plate choke, the problem was
solved. The Titan 3 has been running strong for about a year and a
half with no additional problems. Just like the older TT gear, this
amp has the 'feel' of a very solid piece of equipment.

Tom - W4BQF