[TenTec] RTTY OMNI D

R. Brent Zook brent.zook at verizon.net
Tue Oct 10 09:46:29 EDT 2006

I thought my reply may be useful to others, so I have sent it to the
listserve.

Dave, it has been since the late 70s and early 80s but I used to run
rtty on an omni D (which I still have).  I don't know if you have the
"B" version or not.  I had the original Omni-D, then upgraded it to a
"series B", which meant that it had crystal filters for 1.8 and 0.5 khz
bandwidths.

I found that I could use a regular rtty TU and input tones to the Omni
for transmit.  I would put a muffin fan on the final's heat sink.  Could
run full power, no problem.

On receive, I could use the cw (0.5  khz) filter just fine.  Turns out
that if you run your tones backwards, that is, invert the transmit and
receive, you can use the 0.5 khz filter.  You then run rtty using the
opposite sideband.  Perfect for rtty.

But you may have to do a little rewiring of the selectivity switch, so that
you have a position of the switch which takes out the audio filter but
leaves the 0.5 crystal filter in line.  If you have an actual series B
Omni, you may not have any audio filter in the first place.  I had an
audio filter in the original omni-d, which I still used after getting
the crystal filters.

Good luck to you.  Terminal units may be getting hard to find.  --Brent N9HZ