[TenTec] FS: Triton IV 540 "As-Is Handyman Special"

NZ8J nz8j at woh.rr.com
Tue Oct 10 19:45:49 EDT 2006

I recently bought this to use at our camp in the summers, but would
rather not put the effort into restoring it. It works, puts out 100
watts and receives great, but is being sold as an "as-is handyman
special".  I have made several cw qso's with it, never tried phone. Here
is the scoop..

The Good:
100 + watts on 80-15 meters
CW filter installed
PTO smooth and very stable
Dial string in good condition
All original knobs, etc
Front panel in good condition, case not too bad
All 10m xtals
Original manual in exc condition

The Not so Good:
Radio oscillates on TX above 30 watts on 10 meters. (buzzes when power
goes above 30 watts, may be in the output LPF section)
Resonate shaft is missing an internal stop or something, the knob will
move in and out an lose contact with the gear, you just have to be
careful and not pull it out too far, if you do, it is easy to line up
again by just turning it to one end and engage the gear again.
Dial lights out, ALC and OT lights work fine
Power switch replaced with one that has the "off" at the extreme CCW
position instead of the original push/pull switch

Somewhat of a bonus:
A working (mostly) 262G power supply
The speaker bezel has broken off, the lights don't work and the vox
circuitry is disconnected.
The power supply will power the radio just fine and is controlled by the
power switch on the radio.
No manual for the supply.

Sorry for such a lengthy description, but I wanted to make sure and
describe it as accurately as possible since it is an as-is sale.  I will
ship the radio and power supply UPS ground for $125.00.

Thanks
Tim
NZ8J