[TenTec] N9JG--Orion and RF Feedback

W8KEB kburrough200 at scpwildblue.com
Sat Oct 14 06:39:49 EDT 2006

Good Morning John

I just got home from the hospital, I don't like the 2:30 AM trips, it upsets the wife.  After talking with you the other day I felt you were on the way to having fun with your Orion at the new QTH.  I have read most of the answers to your RF Feedback problem with your Drake Amp.

I have a friend in Lavonia, Mi. that also has the Orion and the Drake Amp.  Ron is also on the second floor of his house and runs the amp all the time on 40 meters, I will send you a e-mail with his e-mail address so you can talk with him.

The one thing that I have not found in the answers you have received is the fact you are using open wire feed line to tune the 102 foot antenna for all bands.  I feel you have a voltage nod at your tuner and radio.  Ron had this problem and did play with the feed line, making it longer or shorter and moved the voltage nod the the outside of the Radio Room wall.

One orf the reasons I never had the RF Feedback problem with my Orion is the because my antenna's are around 200 foot away for the Radio Room.  I also bury the coax the whole way to the shack.

I do not have your e-mail address, if you will send me an e-mail I will returen it with Ron's address.  You may know Ron also as he and I talk on 7.178 when the band is open between us.

Ken/w8keb

w8keb at arrl.net