[TenTec] 2.059d on Orion 565.....raspy rx audio?

Mark DeBord markinkpt at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 15 11:57:23 EDT 2006

I am amazed at all the different answers to this question. Some are hearing
the distortion, others are not; some in their headphones (in only one side),
some on the internal speaker.

To add to the list of differences, I hear the distortion with the headphones
(in both sides) and with an external speaker (Icom SP-20 and the Ten Tec
speaker), but when using the internal speaker, I can not tell it is there. I
also can use a communications speaker like the famous motorola 4 inch
speakers we all see at the hamfest and the distortion is not as bad. I know
it is because the narrow bandwidth of the speaker masks the distortion. But
of couse everyone's audio is average.

I went to the Ten Tec hamfest and took the Orion with me to get them replace
the RIT control and discussed with them about the distortion of which they
will look at that too. I am still waiting to find out what is found (if
anything).

The distortion is in v2.059 and also the v2.057 (the other version that was
included with the latest release). However, previous V2 versions and also
all the V1 versions do not have the distortion.

It also is curious to me that the AGC was supposedly not touched on v2.057
according to the release notes, but the distortion is there).

My friend has an Orion I also and he can hear the distortion as well on his.
I had heard others were hearing it on the Orion II as well, but at the
hamfest, I listened on an O II in the tent and did not hear the distortion
(they had the external Ten Tec speaker).

So, what is going on that some hear it and others do not? Some say they get
rid of it by adding hang time. This helps, but does not get rid of the
distortion.

It is going on 3 weeks now so maybe I will hear from Ten Tec soon on my
repair of the RIT and will let everyone know if there is any difference with
the distortion once I get it back. I am wondering with it is possible there
is slight manufacturing/componant differences that is causing the distorion
in some and not in others.

Thanks,
Mark KA4ICK