[TenTec] Orion and RF Feedback

K4IA at aol.com K4IA at aol.com
Sun Oct 15 15:19:20 EDT 2006

In a message dated 10/15/2006 12:49:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
john at gotwals.com writes:

run a  wire down a story and a half to a ground rod

As the Radioworks article points out, that is an "unground" and may be the
worst thing you can do.  The story and a half is almost exactly a quarter  wave
on 20 meters meaning you will see a high impendence at the radio end.   Other
bands will also offer significant mismatch ca suing the energy to stay on
your rig.

When I had a second floor shack I used no ground at all.  I ran my  coax away
from the antenna at a right angle or straight down to the ground, then  back
up again at the shack end to minimize interaction with the antenna  field.  I
also used a choke balun at the radio end.  That cured my  problems.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA