[TenTec] speech processing idea

Byron J. Watts bjw at byron.com
Thu Oct 26 18:52:37 EDT 2006

Ok first let me state that I've got a Tentec Omni D, so this is somewhat
related to this list.  I have a VST host program on this computer that
allows me to use a "hard" limiter on microphone audio in real time, it's
a wonderful tool, I can get probably 20db of limiting with no distortion
due to the look-ahead design.  it doesn't sound pretty, very
"compressed" as you can imagine, but there's no distortion.  I also have
a VST for a 5 band limiter for fm broadcast.  with some modifications it
could be band-limited to 300-3khz and be adjusted for SSB.  have any of
you ever used the most powerful processor you probably have in your
shack, the PC, to do your compression/equalization for you and then
interface the sound output into your rig?

KC0NPF, BJ

PS: i'm not a fan of highly compressed audio, it ONLY makes sense when
you can't quite get through.