[TenTec] Orion Mic Woes - Sounds like RFI but Wasn't

k8vf_mark at centurytel.net k8vf_mark at centurytel.net
Sat Sep 2 00:12:26 EDT 2006

I just got an Orion which I bought used.

In an effort to be ready, I took one of my 4 mics used on my Omni VI, and V,
and Paragon II, and removed the shield from  pin 2 and attached it to the
connector case.

Mic is unuseable. On Dummy LOAD. This is not an rf issue here.

Put the shield back on pin 2 where it was on all of my other TT rigs, sounds
fine.

The Ten Tec model 700 I have does not have the shield to the case, it works
fine.

My Heil proset sounds terrible. I moved the shield from pin 2 to the
connector case, still sounds terrible.

Again, all of this is on the dummy load.

A question on mic cables.

Except for a D-104, all mics I have seen have 3 wires plus shield.
Usually white for mic audio, red and black (or blue) for PTT and shield is
mic ground.

I dont recall ever seeing a separate shield that is not mic audio return.

My Ten Tec mic does not have this extra wire, nor does my MC-50.

What procedure should we use with 3 wires plus shield(mic return) mics?
In my reading on this issue, I dont get a definitive answer. (possible I've
missed something).

I just want the Heil Proset to work on the Orion like it has on many other
rigs.

Thanks in advance.

Mark