[TenTec] 2.037J reloaded

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Sat Sep 9 03:27:35 EDT 2006

I reloaded 2.037J and did a master reset.  I still noticed the AGC is way fast compared to earlier versions, and may be the source of reports of 'raspiness' in the receive audio.  I hear it too, but was able to mitigate most of the problem by adding hang-time to all the settings, running them at their slowest recovery times and increasing the threshold.  I suspect this is related to the slowed attack time which may be letting peaks overdrive the IF for very short periods of time. I'll have to do some more listening in the morning, since there aren't too many signals on at the moment.

At first blush, the SP sound better and I can't hear anything bad in the transmit audio. The AGC slope makes SSB signals sound better by giving more depth and dynamic range.  The different sound of the received audio in general though will take some getting used to.

Ron N6AHA