[TenTec] Audio Outputs Different V2.059 ?

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Sat Sep 9 14:56:33 EDT 2006

Barry N1EU said:
" With speech processor off, the audio quality seems
uniformly excellent.  However the speech processor is VERY aggressive
and its effects quite audible.   With v1 firmware, I often ran SP at 5
to 8.  With 2.059, I'm not sure if I'll be using it at all.  Curious
what others find."

I think there have been some improvements in the performance of 2.059 over previous V2 Orion releases. However, in trying to find an issue with the Voice Recorder audio quality I have observed, consistently, that the "Monitor Audio" from the External Speaker output has a very different sound from the "Monitor Audio" that I hear from the from Headphone Jack. The audio seems to sound very much the same when I am listening to the "main receiver audio" out of the two outputs (External Speaker and Front Panel Headphone Audio Jack). Not sure why "main receiver audio" would sound the same and "Monitor Audio" would sound very different?

When listening to the "Monitor Audio" through the Front Headphone Jack it sounds clear (No SP) and crisp. When I listen to the "Monitor Audio" through the External Speaker output is sounds like there is a strong emphasis on the low frequencies and the audio starts to sound  slightly broken.  Have others using the Orion V2.059 observed a difference in "Monitor Audio" sound from the two outputs (Headphone Jack and External Speaker output)?

Barry I also observe that the SP is very aggressive, even at low settings, However, I have not gotten on-the-air comparisons of the audio with and without SP. If I listen to the "SP Monitor Audio" through the External Speaker output it gets distorted quickly. If I listen to the "SP Monitor Audio" through the Headphone Jack output it certainly gets "harsh sounding" but it doesn't seem to "distort" nearly as much. I would be interested in others comments on Speech Processing audio quality and at what settings they are using for SP?

Merle - W0EWM