[TenTec] AM receive with v 2.037j

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Mon Sep 11 03:06:36 EDT 2006

Some time back, I complained that the Orion 2 had distorted AM receive characteristics.  I had tried using very slow AGC release time, but it still sounded distorted.  When I loaded 2.037j, I initially tried AM receive and it still sounded bad.  Later though, after I discovered that hang time was needed for SSB receive, and I tried listening to AM with some hang and slow recovery time, and all of a sudden, it sounded great!  World of difference and it now rivals the quality of my old KWM-380.

Again, the trick is hang time.  I'm using 'Prog' with hang of .51 s, decay of 4 dB/s and threshold of 1 uV.  Sounds great ham AM, as well as SW and BCB.

The AM transmit requires some EQ.  Setting the EQplus bass at 10:00 and treble at 2:00 elicited good comments on 75 AM tonight.  The AM monitor doesn't sound all that bad either.

The more I use 2.037j, the more I like it!  I wish I could open up the BW to 12 kHz, though...

Ron N6AHA