[TenTec] Blue screen of death 2.059

K4IA at aol.com K4IA at aol.com
Mon Sep 11 19:02:52 EDT 2006

Thanks to all - as we continue to hunt this one down.

I have done the Clear RAM reset as well as the Master Reset.  I have  cleared
User Memories and Filter Settings.

I am exploring the possibility that it is an issue with the computer and  the
USB serial port arrangement corrupting something in the install.  But  that
doesn't really explain why 2.057 would load and work without a problem or  why
the Verify Program function in the Update Utility would report "File and
firmware successfully verified."  On the next crash I will install from my  laptop
and use a different USB>serial cable.

It is not RF related because it only happens when receiving.

TT suggested perhaps a power supply issue but I am using an Astron 35A (not
switching).  According to TT, there was an issue with some earlier Astrons
where the negative lead was not grounded and it could result in a spike when you
 turned on the radio or in RF getting back in through the negative lead.  I
verified my negative lead is indeed grounded to the case.

Also to note, there had been a long discussion here about TT power supplies
being superior because of their protection circuit.  (Airpak?)  That  is no
longer true.  TT doesn't make their own supplies any longer and the  protection
circuit was only an issue with earlier rigs.  It is no longer in  the TT
supplies.

I'll keep posting for the benefit of those who might suffer a similar  fate.
Right now I am using 2.059 but I am afraid to push the AN button for  fear of
another crash.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA