[TenTec] LDG tuners for Ten Tec radios

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Mon Sep 18 03:24:21 EDT 2006

> What's that all about? LDG giving up on the Ten Tec line?

It was an aftermarket product.  And was very slow to market (at least the TT
Orion version).  It was a "coming" product for way too long.  I suspect that
most people who wanted a tuner bought the T_T version, taking the path of
least resistance.  LDG seems to have some issues with manufacturing -- not
quality issues-- but timing issues.

The LDG version was a memory tuner, and while that was nice, maybe not
enough people cared or were just wary or were willing to spend twice the
price for the OEM verion.  I had a 565 with no tuner for a short time, and
if I hadn't passed it on would have sprung (sprang, spranged, sprunnged,
springed, <pick our verb>, whatever) for the LDG if I'd kept the radio.
Didn't, but bought another 565 with the T-T tuner in it ...

I'm reasonably sure it was a good product just based on LDG's track record,
but the relationship between T-T and LDG went sour, and apparently the LDG
tuner did also.

There was a lot of discussion on the list about the benefits of a memory
tuner, and corresponding griping that the T-T wasn't a memory tuner (you had
to actually reach up and push a button.. How primitive!),  but ... Must have
not been a biggie.  Wasn't for me, at least .. Was for others.  The
discussion was VERY contentious ....

Grant/NQ5T