[TenTec] Orion 565 Amplifier Keying Question

Rob Santello Orion at drumon.com
Wed Sep 20 22:36:50 EDT 2006

Hello group,

   I've recently up-graded my shack with a  addition of a used Oi
which now sits next to my existing Kenwood TS-2000. Currently, the
TS-2000 is connected to my Ameritron AL-80B amp and I want to be able
to use that amp with the new Orion. Can I parallel (using a "Y"
cable) the keying line that is now coming from the TS-2000? I believe
the TS-2000 has relay contacts and the Orion uses an open collector
transister to key the line. Seems to me that both can be connected in
parallel without problems. When the TS-2000 is keyed, the Orion would
see a short to ground across the keying transistor. Being open
collector, that should not be a problem, right? And when the Orion is
keyed, the TS-2000 would see a short across the relay contacts which
is no problen at all. So am I correct with this or should I not
parallel the two radios this way? Is there a better way if this is
not acceptable?

Thanks in advance and 73,
--rob--
K6DQ