[TenTec] Herc II on battery power

J A Crux jac.trademarks at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 12:44:50 EDT 2006

I gave this a lot of thought when I had problems with the 9420 supply.
I even managed to get hold of the official TT battery lead for the Herc II.
This lead was I think primarily intended for mobile use. It is just a plug
for the back of the Herc and a short set of flying leads which are paralled
up in a couple of ring terminals.
If you want to make up a lead then thats the way to go - four separate pairs
to a very substantial terminal block and then some really huge 100 amp plus
leads to the battery (s).  Whilst you are at it, why not make up a hefty
earth bus for grounding everything. I use some 100+ amp industrial ground
cable between the 9420 case, the Herc II and the Omni-V, plus the ATU.  The
best ground wire is the plastic jacketed stuff with over 100 fine strands, so
you can bend it easily without a wrench..

I now use the TT mobile lead with a low current (15 amp) supply simply for
powering up the Herc II on the kitchen table - beats lugging the 9420 out of
the shack if you only want to check bias settings or swap a panel lamp.

If I ever have to go down the battery route I will get at least one hefty 12v
truck battery and a smart charger.

Good luck - its a great amp.
John G3JAG