[TenTec] Omni VI+

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Fri Sep 29 00:02:04 EDT 2006

Hi Don,

You said:

 Omni VI+, This rig has the model 220 filter (2.4kc) filter in one of the
optional 9 mc slots.  What is the advantage of this filter over the
"standard" one?

The "standard" 9 MHz filter in the Omni VI+ is a model 220, although it
may not be labeled 220, it is a 8 pole 2.4 kHz BW filter, stock number
48058. Apparently Ten-Tec's filters only get a model number if they are
intended to be sold as an accessory. If they are standard equipment,
sold installed in the rig, they have just a stock number, and not a
model number. Putting another model 220 filter in one of the optional
narrow filter slots should provide even greater rejection of signals
outside the filter band pass, while not narrowing the effective
bandpass. So you have 16 poles of filtering in the 9 MHz IF when you
select that filter and 8 poles with neither of the narrow filters
selected. (not counting the 2 pole 15 kHz BW filter at the beginning of
the 9 MHz IF system) That can be helpful when there strong adjacent
"channel" (I hate using that term with ham radio) signals, and you don't
want to give up any fidelity.

With room for only two narrow option filters in the 9 MHz IF, and being
more interested in operating CW than SSB, I would not do that. I chose
two filters of narrower bandwidth. I use a 218 and a 221. If I were a
SSB enthusiast, I think I'd use an Inrad filter with a 2.1 kHz BW, and a
218.

I'd really like to have more 9 MHz IF narrow filter slots than just two.
(Yes I know about the Inrad roofing filter add on mod)

DE N6KB