[TenTec] OMNI-6+ bleep

Roy Koeppe royanjoy at ncn.net
Sun Apr 1 17:09:46 EDT 2007

Asked,

"I received a note from Ken, N9VV reporting: " Every so often your
signal sent out a "bloop" sounding change in frequency. It wasn't at
a specific time, but it did reoccur frequently." Mode was CW.

Fortunately Ken sent an MP3 file which clearly demonstrates a
problem. The frequency shift does not seem to appear on key down - to
my aging ears, it sounds like it happens on the break.

I'd be pleased to share the MP3 file with anyone interested in
hearing/diagnosing the problem. It's been subjected to the latest
Norton dat files and should be clean of anything harmful. You may
e-mail me directly at <K7FL at ARRL.NET> for a copy.

My personal thanks to folks like Ken N9VV who provide objective,
helpful reports such this."

Many thanks folks,
Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

'Traditionally' that problem has been caused by "slipping" of the PLL
circuit when it ages and is running in a slightly mis-tuned condition as
a result. It has been especially common on 30M. The factory corrects it
for a minimal fee.

73,   Roy    K6XK