[TenTec] international

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Apr 10 11:19:17 EDT 2007

N7FV:
 >Have the Buyer do a bank wire tranfer from his bank to your bank.
When your bank tells you the money has been received and it in your account,
it is a done deal.
My bank charges $15 to send a wire transfer, but this may vary from area to
area.
A wire transfer usually takes less than 6 hours to complete.

DJ0IP:
 >You seem to be getting a 1-sided answer here - very US centric - and not
very helpful (although the effort is surely appreciated).

<SNIP>

 >Especially for low cost stuff, a few hundred dollars or less, PayPal is in a
league of its own.  Once the amount of the transfer approaches $1500 or
more, the cost of PayPal can exceed the cost of a SWIFT transfer.

         I agree with both above...SWIFT is a wire transfer.
When I sold my FT-1000MP to ES5TV we used this system since PayPal
had no coverage in Estonia and since PayPal's fee on a >$2000
transaction would have been much more than the SWIFT fee.

         You cannot go wrong if money is "in the bank" before
shipping the goods.  However, be aware that even Money Orders
and Cashiers Checks can be counterfeited and then later bounced
by your bank, even when they are initially "accepted".  This is
how the Nigerian scammers trick unwary people!  To be completely
safe, you should wait a couple of days on domestic MOs (for
clearing) and even longer for international MOs.  On the other
hand wire transfers are instantaneous and don't need clearing time.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV