[TenTec] Paragon Problem

H. M. Motley Jr. hmmjr at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 12:33:56 EDT 2007

I have developed an intermittent problem.  At times my Paragon with neither TX or RX on 18 and 15M or at other times 12 and 10 M.  From looking at the circuit diagram it appears the trouble must be in the low pass filter board where the appropriate LPF is selected by relays which are energized by the "T" voltage which is applied to the proper control line.  I notice the two relays for each LPF are wired in series.  When the trouble occurs I hear a relay kick in and later I hear a relay stuttering.  Finally it may engage and things work properly.    I notice all control lines are buffered by relay driver U1.  Has anyone had this problem and solved it?  Was it U1 or the relays? I never have this problem on the lower bands.  Perhaps I should replace all 4 relays for these two LPF's?  OR maybe there is some other problem?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Puck, W4PM