[TenTec] FLEX, Omni-VII, Hilberling

Grant Youngman nq5t at tx.rr.com
Wed Apr 18 15:55:37 EDT 2007

Flipping through the new QST, there is certainly a lot of new stuff to
consider.  We live in interesting times :)

I did note that all of the "open source" balderdash about the Flex radios
has passed into oblivion.  The FAQs are most specific that the firmware in
the new 5000-series (whenever it will actually be delivered) will NOT be
open source.  And there is no longer a soundcard to fiddle with in the PC --
meaning that all of that DSP stuff is instantaneously proprietary.

Perhaps we're really not ready for true "open source" radios -- at least not
if the companies that build them want to remain profitable.  A lot of hype,
but reality does seem to have reared its ugly head :)

Grant/NQ5T