[TenTec] FLEX, Omni-VII, Hilberling

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Wed Apr 18 17:57:37 EDT 2007

Grant wrote:"I did note that all of the "open source" balderdash about the Flex radios
has passed into oblivion."
Well, Grant, I don't think that is actually what has happened (More on the Flex reflector). Nearly all of the code that we call "firmware" in the Orion/Orion II will continue to run in a "PC" and will be "open-source." There is some firmware in the radio that controls some of the functions of the radio - like frequency setting of the DDS etc - that is in
controlled firmware, but it really relates to very basic hardware functions. None of the complex radio functions like modulation, demodulation, filters, noise reduction, speech processing, band-scope etc are in the "firmware."  All of that complex function code will continue to be open source and execute in the "PC" that goes with the Flexradio setup. Lots of very bright folks contributing to the code for those complex radio functions.
73, Merle - W0EWM