[TenTec] Argosy 525 question

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Thu Apr 19 12:23:42 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 09:46 -0400, jmalloy wrote:
> > I just became a proud owner of a Ten Tec Argosy myself and I really like
> > this fun little radio. I checked mine SN 761 and the very quiet noise
> > floor does not change when you change the power setting switch on the
> > back of the radio. I am listening to it on 40 cw as I am typing this
> > out. Maybe yours is a very early Argosy with the high noise floor and
> > needs one capacitor value changed. I need to change the AGC constant Cap
> > in mine then I will have a Great go anywhere radio.
>
> I think this may a good point to break in and ask: does anyone know
> where one can find a dual 10K potentiometer for use in an Argosy?  I'd
> like to do the mod to install an "RF" gain control.  I've got one now,
> but it's external to the Argosy; it would be much better to have it
> internal.

Dual with concentric shafts are uncommon these days for single orders.
Dual with one shaft can be bought from Mouser (www.mouser.com) or
Newark. Though it might be worth inquiring at TT parts as it might have
been used in some other radio.

> Also: are the diodes mentioned in the KW7CD article still available?
> (They're spec'd as HP 5082-2800 and HP 5082-3081)  If not, does anyone
> know of substitutes?

I think the 5082-2800 is now known as 1N5711, perhaps 1N6263, last year
both were available from Dan's, http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net

He also had a PIN diode (the 5082-3081 is a PIN diode) from Motorola
that will probably work fine at HF.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,