[TenTec] RF gets into computer

John K Gotwals john at gotwals.com
Mon Apr 23 13:18:54 EDT 2007

RF wise, my situation is not very desirable: My shack is on the second
floor, one end of a 110 feet dipole fed with open-wire line is 15 feet from
my computer, the feedline droops some but does parallel the dipole on its
run to the shack, and I sometimes operate at the kW level on 160 thru 10
meters.

When I would operate high-power, my computer would beep and the keyboard
would be disconnected. In addition, I would also hear a hum in the computer
connected Bose speaker system. The computer keyboard, optical mouse, and the
Navigator digital mode interface are all USB connected to my computer. My
system is now clean, and it took very little in the way of filtering to
clean it up, but it took a fair amount of time to experiment with various
configurations until I found one that works.

I recommend a four page article titled "RFI Page" at
http://www.aa5au.com/gettingstarted/rtty_rfi
In this article, the author states that he has not had good results with the
clip-on types of inductors, and that has been my experience also. Ferrite
toroids and rods seem to work better, and the rods are easier to use with
cables which already have attached connectors. I purchased 4 inch long
ferrite rods (part # R-050400-33) from CWS ByteMark
http://www.cwsbytemark.com/ and they did the job for me. Although the
optical mouse, Navigator interface, and the keyboard all had small circular
inductors around the cable, the keyboard was being disconnected. I wrapped a
portion of the keyboard cord, next to the computer, around a ferrite rod,
and taped the wire in place. I did the same thing for the stereo cord
running from my soundcard output to my Bose speaker system, but at the Bose
end of the cord. Now my computer no longer beeps when I operate at the kW
level, and the hum is absent from the Bose speakers.

One final comment - Although type 33 material is not normally used at HF,
other more suitable ferrite material does not appear to be available in the
form of rods.

John, N9JG