[TenTec] V2.060b Release Comments

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Wed Apr 25 16:19:59 EDT 2007

Bob (NW8L) said:
"I wonder if the AGC attack time has been tweaked, as band noise seems
less harsh - but maybe is it my imagination?"

I agree with Bob. One of the big issues, for me, with the last V2 release for the Orion was the "distortion" that occurred
with a strong signal on the leading edge of the signal (I know some people "changed" it with AGC delay - that just caused me more issues in bands with multiple signals). It seemed that a "delayed AGC" was allowing "overshoot" in the audio stages. I don't hear any of that on the V2.060b release. Another significant improvement. Of course, a lot of gain was taken out of the receiver in the last release - and it is still gone. But V2.060 still looks like a "big" improvement in the Orion over previous V2 releases - and maybe over V1 - depending on what performance issues you give the most weight.
73, Merle - W0EWM