[TenTec] Omni 7 auto tuner?

John T. Fleming W3GQJ at embarqmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:20:15 EDT 2007

The MFJ will tune a much wider range than the Ten-Tec tuner.  The MFJ is
designed to work with a long wire.  I have been using a 993B which works
well on 160, 80 and 40, but does not like the RF on 20.  In the tune mode it
is OK, but when I go to 100 watts, it starts to complain.  I have a long
wire with a counter poise that I use.  I found that my old faithful Versa
Tuner II does a much better job.  I have an A/B antenna switch between the
tuner and the rig.  The tuner is about 25 feet from the rig.  With the A/B
switch, I can switch to my MFJ antenna analyzer and tune up the tuner.  It
must have a much higher "Q" than the 993 because I notice a greater drop in
signals when I change bands before I retune.  The 993 is more convenient.

I just got permission from the Gestapo to install a flag pole on my
property.  It is a Force-12.  I may then switch back to the 993 and use the
flag pole on the higher frequencies.  Check QRZ to see how I had to disguise
my long wire antenna.

73,
John