[TenTec] RFI, Computer, Omni IV+

John Huffman hjohnc at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 25 17:24:39 EDT 2007

I have a problem when I operate my Omni IV+ (option 3).  The audio on 75 meter SSB and 10
meter SSB is distorted.

This only happens when I run the amp (Ameritron ALS-600).

This only happens if I connect cables between the Omni IV+ and my laptop.  If I connect
audio out on the Omni to the mic connection on the computer sound card, I get distortion.
  If I connect the RS232 output on the Omni to the computer, I get distortion.

I have a decent ground.  But, I do not ground the computer and am not sure where I would
get into it to make a ground connection.

I have no problems using my K2/100 with the amp and the same computer.

I have loaded the lines between the Omni and the computer with ferrites (cores with 10-15
turns and clip-ons on the ends of the connectors).  They didn't help.

So,
Distortion with the OMNI VI+ and the amp if the computer is connected.
No distortion with the Omni VI+ and the amp if the computer is NOT connected.
No distortion with the K2/100 and the amp with the computer connected.

Any ideas??

73 de K1ESE
John