[TenTec] Argonaut II/Delta II crystal filters

waltk8cv4612amos at att.net waltk8cv4612amos at att.net
Wed Aug 1 08:13:41 EDT 2007

I am not a SSB fancier so not very familiar with that adjustment but setting
the IF BANDWIDTH narrower you need to ALSO adjust the PBT for best audio!

In CW which I operate mostly I have found for the tone I listen to ( about
700 Hz ) I set the PBT about 10 O'clock and the IF BW also around 10 O'clock
and only more counter clock wise if really needed.

Hope this helps? I don't think you will get more or better selectivity out
of that Jones filter adjusting it internally, it is a COMPROMISE filter. One
filter doing EVERYTHING POORLY ! The plus side is you didn't have to spent a
$1000 lbs on filters like a FT-1000 MP rig. You can't have your cake and eat
it too :-)

Bottom line, the filter stinks ! How about the display back light? Is it
still working ? Have you done the AGC mod ? The AGC mod may not be needed if
you only operate SSB but sure helped for CW !

Bottom line, TenTec dropped the Jones filter as it was a failure. Elecraft
uses it and has had success with it, to say the least!

Walt K8CV Royal Oak, MI.