[TenTec] re Price increases

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Fri Aug 3 20:33:57 EDT 2007

But ask yourself if a reed relay and a few other components are worth an
extra thousand bucks.

Hi Rob,

Yes, that is exactly what I am asking. The price of the parts may be
fairly easy to calculate. The time required to design it and build it
are not as easy to calculate. I suppose I could just take the schematic
for the QSK circuitry from my Titan 425, and try to adapt it to the bias
circuitry and RF switching circuitry that already exists in the 82 or
the 2500. Maybe trivial, or maybe not. Even if the circuit design is
trivial, then you still need to build it. I'm a fan of homebrewing, and
it would probably be a fun project.

My point is that if you are going to compare Ten-Tec's (or anyone
else's) amplifier prices then you should compare amplifiers with the
same capabilities, or establish dollar values for the capabilities that
differ from one product to the other. Maybe Ten-Tec's QSK is not worth
$1K. I sure do like it though and I'd miss it if I had another amplifier
that lacked it.

DE N6KB