[TenTec] AL-811 amp integration with Omni V

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Mon Aug 6 18:12:07 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 15:11 -0500, Stuart Rohre wrote:
> All,
> Always tune up a rig and linear and tuner into a dummy load before applying
> an antenna.  Then, you should have less range of adjustment to fine tune the
> tuner to the antenna.

Only if the antenna is near resonance. Otherwise the tuner should be
pretuned with an antenna analyzer or noise bridge or tuner tuner (fixed
Z noise bridge. The rig and linear used with that tuner should be tuned
into a dummy load and all that tuning can be facilitated by keeping a
tuning chart with good logging dials on the adjustable components.

I find peaking receive through the tuner speeds adjustments when I've
neglected to look at my tuning chart.

> And, if possible, use an antenna analyzer to make sure the tuner settings
> are either correct for the intended antenna, (separately with the linear
> disconnected), or tune the antenna using the antenna analyzer as the source.
>
> That minimizes the on air time of the linear while tuning up.  Actually, the
> goal is to NOT tune up the linear on the air.

For sure, but when the only tuning instrument is a SWR bridge that runs
at full transmitter power, tuning on the air will be done.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,