[TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 56, Issue 9

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Wed Aug 8 02:01:42 EDT 2007

No doubt that Steppir antennas are really nice, and they can be adjusted
for super low SWR on the line to the antenna, not just between a tuner
and the  rig.  That is really neat, and I'd love to have one myself.
However, it is not necessary to have a Steppir or other remotely tunable
system, or a multiple resonance antenna (such as one with traps or
resonant stubs or coils as with Gap or Butternut) in order to have high
efficiency on several bands. A plain vertical can be tuned (with a tuner
in the shack) to work  efficiently over greater than an octave (like say
60, 40, 30 and 20 meters) .

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have an efficient antenna. In
fact the cheapest simplest homebrew antennas are often more efficient
than the expensive, ready built (some assembly required) ones that have
moving parts, coils and other do-dads on them.

N6KB