[TenTec] controlling more than one ten tec radio with one computer

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Tue Aug 21 19:53:32 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 18:46 -0400, Mike Bryce wrote:
> boys...
>
> I have at last got a computer in the shack.. yea, I know... way to long
>
> but that being said, there's only one serial port on this used
> machine. (sister gave it to me. It's running windows ME..)
>
> Now, is it possible to get a serial port to usb device for each and
> every rig I have now, then plug the usb cables into a usb hub and
> select the one that I want?
>
> I would like to run the argonaut 5, the jupiter, and the RX320 all
> from the same computer and not have to keep swapping out the single
> serial port cable I have.

It probably depends on the USB / Serial adapter.  Some USB / serial
adapters work with some software and not with other software. Others may
work with the other software.  There may also be a problem with multiple
USB / serial adapters on a hub. The driver software may map the adapters
to different COM ports the next time you start the computer.  The
drivers I have seen have no provision for hard coding which adapter is
which COM port.  Lastly, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to have
different models or versions of USB / Serial adapaters installed at the
same time. Each requires a different driver and installing one driver
requires removing the other driver.

If you are only concerned with running one radio at a time, consider a
mechanical A-B-C-D serial switch.  They should be available for $10 or
so.  You will probably need some gender changers as most of the serial
switches I've seen use female DB-9's all around, and unfortunately, the
4 output (from switch to radios) are the ones that need to be male.

I use the A-B-C-D switch approach in my shack.

73,
Mark