[TenTec] List Abbreviations

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Wed Dec 5 11:19:26 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 21:49 -0600, Kim Elmore wrote:
> Great!  My Dad, W5JHJ (SK) had told me about this shortly after I got
> my Novice ticket in 1970. I'd never heard or read of it anywhere.
>
> Now, the long comma -- that's a great one!
>
> I have my 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, mainly because I saw that it was
> still available. For some odd reason, the FCC hasn't done away with
> it. I took my 20 wpm Extra test before the FCC, so I qualified by
> taking only the written portion. The written is pretty arcane (and
> hasn't been updated for many years), asking lots of questions about
> super-regen receivers and message handling protocols. I learned those
> on CW traffic nets, so it wasn't too bad.

Those should have been straight regen receivers used on ship for LF for
a very long time. Might still be some Liberty ships from WW2 in freight
service still using the 30's vintage designs slightly modified with a
couple RF stages so keep them from being heard by submarines. One of the
local hams (moved away and probably SK W0NJ) was in the US merchant
marine during all of WW2, and transmitted once and then the ship was in
port.

I took the 2nd Telegraphy test in the summer of 1958, the FCC wouldn't
let me take the extra test yet because I hadn't had the general two
years. And when I went for the extra in the fall noting having the 2nd
telegraphy, the examiner said, "You'd better pass the code test!" which
I did. I took the first phone that summer too and it was far behind the
extra written in modern technology. The extra covered TV, RTTY, FM, and
stuff that the first phone didn't. Haven't renewed the commercials in
about 40 years, and it hasn't made any difference to my income either.

73, Jerry, K0CQ