[TenTec] relay delay in Tentec QSK amps

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 4 21:26:19 EST 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:12:19 -0800, Allan Taylor wrote:

>I am considering purchasing an Elecraft K3. This radio does not,
>unfortunately, have a QSK keying loop to directly interface with
>my Tentec amps.

Hi Alan,

I use my Herc II and Titan 425's by keying the amp and letting it
key the radio. That works very well (full QSK) with everything I've
tried -- Omni V, TS850, FT1000MP. The only downside is that I must
use some external keyer rather than the keyer built into the radio.
That's why I own several vintage AEA MM1's and an MM3.

It's also very easy to add diode summing networks to combine the
keyer with the computer keying line (like the K2 does). I build
these networks into the output of the keyer (which comes with
several spare RCA jacks that work nicely for this purpose). One
caution -- you may need to use Germanium diodes with the Herc II and
some radios. I did with the MP, which needs the keying line pulled
closer to zero for keydown than the other radios.

73,

Jim K9YC