[TenTec] Resolution of Omni V & Logic interfacing

Gary Smith Gary at doctorgary.net
Thu Dec 6 23:20:58 EST 2007

Problem was: Interface the RS232 to Logic 8 via a USB port.

I never dealt with a 232 in my whole life (though my Dad was the
person who got them on the Nuclear subs in Rickover's day). I was
told I need a DB 25 to DB 9 adapter and then a DB9 to USB adapter.

I ordered from the internet these adapters. After using N4PY's mod
for the Omni V I needed to create a wiring harness and that was
straightforward from Carl's supplied information. I did everything by
the book but the problems AI had were frustrating; do one thing and
the interface is seen but no radio. Select other options in Logic 8
and the radio is seen but does not respond.

I did the best I could and it simply failed to work. FInally I went
to Best Buy, bought a different USB to DB9 converter and sonofagun it
worked. The first connector was an eBay special and it is worthless.
The one I got that worked is a Dynex (Probably much cheaper elsewhere
as Best Buy is not know for low prices).

So if you're looking to go from DB9 to USB and failing, your
impassable barrier might well be the cable you buy. (And they do need
drivers).

Gary
KA1J