[TenTec] 40M Band Sweeps

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Fri Dec 7 16:40:44 EST 2007

ALE doesn't sweep it sends on particular (selected channels) for a
given net in selected from a predetermined list and in conjunction
with predictions from a propagation program.

You can hear typical ALE here (I think there is more than one type).
Sounds like an alien ray gun!

<http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/ale.wav>

from this collection

<http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/>

Paul, W9AC said:

> Perhaps my location is unusually sensitive to the sweeps,

I suspect it must be ground wave range for you. There's no NVIS on
40. Or perhaps you are just right for skip from the source right now.

> but I am a bit
> astonished that this deliberate interference is allowed to persist
> around
> the clock, albeit in short bursts.  No station identification seems
> to be
> required either.   Pretty amazing, but government organizations and
> the
> military seems to qualify for special exemptions from "good operating
> practices."

How would you ID a sweep? Really fast CW :-)

For sounders that's just the way it is.
--
Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell at pobox.com