[TenTec] Ten-Tec amplifier vacuum relay noise

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Fri Dec 7 17:11:25 EST 2007

I have a Titan 425 and a Hercules II 420 amplifier. The vacuum relays in
the two amplifiers appear to be the same model. The vacuum relay in the
425 makes much more noise. I know it uses a higher voltage to actuate it
that the 420 does, 20 V versus 13 V. That may be part of the difference
in noise. I am wondering if differences in the mounting of the relays
and the stiffness of the wires connected to the relay is also an
important factor in the amount of noise radiated (acoustically) from the
relay. I am considering replacing the grommets that the relay board is
mounted with, and adding short lengths or braid in the connections to
the relay (not stiffened by being totally soaked full of solder) to help
isolate the relay vibration from the rest of the chassis.

Anyone out there tried any of this already? I'd be interested to hear
about your successes and/or failures.

DE N6KB