[TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Wed Dec 12 18:02:06 EST 2007

The K3 will no doubt be a nice radio, although at best, it will equal the
Orions in performance.  That according to Eric Swartz, co-owner of Elecraft
in a demo he gave at our local club last month.  He proudly listed all of
the K3 factory-measured specs on his Power Point presentation, and almost
every sentence ended with "...it's right up there with the Orions".   Most
all of the critical numbers were within +- 2 dB of the Orion II, a fact that
Swartz freely acknowledged.  Fully loaded, the price is similar.

Certainly there will be many nice added features, but there may be a few
some folks will miss.  The K3 is a small, light radio, great for travel, but
as many have pointed out, more challenging for "big-fingered" ops whose eye
glasses (like mine) keep getting thicker each year!

For those who were wondering, the KPA-800 and KPA-1500 amplifiers have not
been forgotten.  Eric says they will re-visit them when the K3 is finished
with development.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com