[TenTec] Omni VI+ receiver UHF intermod

Jack Mandelman modeler at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 13 11:51:10 EST 2007

The interference not being present on my TS-940S and CorsairII suggests
that it is being created within the OmniVI.  I will check to see if the
diodes are being properly switched and biased, and if everything else
appears to be in order.  Have to open the radio anyway to install an
INRAD filter in the next few days.

As an afterthought, my antenna is a CF Zepp that I use on all bands and
fed with true (home made) open wire line.  The 600MHz TV signal creating
the intermod is right off the end of my antenna.  On 600MHz there is
very considerable gain off the ends, which may be resulting in a very
strong interfering UHF signal.  One might expect that the 600MHz energy
would not make it through my antenna tuner (an L-network in LP
configuration).  However, at 600MHz parasitic lead inductance in the
tuner may make it behave not at all as a LP filter.  Thus significant
600MHz energy could be transferred to the Omni.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Jack K1VT