[TenTec] Omni VI+ QSK audio

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Dec 19 07:00:46 EST 2007

> Trying to get rid of the audio thumps when using QSK on my Omni VI+.  I
> tried the W9AC mod, removing connector #52 from the if/af board, but other
> than increasing the brightness of the S-meter pilot lights it has no
> effect
> on the audio.

Terry:

It's been a while since I've owned an Omni 6, but removal of Plug 52 should
have no effect on pilot lamp brightness.  Removing the plug disables the
side-tone wrap-around circuit -- a cause of clicks, but not audible thumps.
If thumps are bad enough, they may be masking any benefit of the Plug 52
removal.

I also do not know if Plug 52 was re-numbered beginning with factory Omni 6+
units (not "plus" upgrades).  I would check the schematic to ensure that it
is right circuit being disabled.

Does the headphone audio thump change with RF output power level?

Paul, W9AC