[TenTec] Orion RF issue

Gary Hoffman ghoffman at spacetech.com
Thu Feb 1 17:22:37 EST 2007

Right you are, Ron.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc at sonic.net>
To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion RF issue

With lightning, you'll never create a true "no voltage" situation between
any two points, but you can reduce the voltage differential to the point
that it will prevent damage by using heavy, low-resistance bonding. I don't
recall I have ever heard anyone say that station grounds and tower grounds
shouldn't be connected, but if they did, they were wrong.  They should be
bonded to each other and to the electrical ground.  By default, the tower
and station are grounded to each other by virtue of the coax shield, and
under a lightning strike the voltage on that shield would be huge and flow
through the equipment to the station ground unless a big conductor routed
the voltage around the equipment.  The worst news is if the operator offered
an additional path to ground during a strike...SK!

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)