[TenTec] What Interface Do I need for Orion

Bill Gaines AD8P ad8p at wcoil.com
Tue Feb 6 12:02:51 EST 2007

I want an opinion of what to use for an interface. I just bought an Orion recently and would like to occasionally use it on RTTY. I might even occasionally use it on SSB if I can find my microphone. I want to use FSK so I think I need to come into the radio using the I/O Aux port on the rear panel. Also, I am using N1MM as a contest logger and have been directly keying the radio on CW with the printer port with very few keying glitches. A few but very few. I would be interested in SSB contesting if I could set up the sound card to record messages/exchanges etc but I don't know if some sort of interface is necessary to do this or not. What I am unsure of is what kind of interface (if any) I might need to get.

There are so many products on the market to chose from but I have no idea what I need....if anything.

I have an Omni 6 which I sometimes used on RTTY using a Buxcomm interface and it did just fine. However, the interconnecting cable that is used on the Omni is different that what the Orion requires. So, if I need to buy a new Buxcomm interface because of the interconnecting cables that's fine.

I just need a little guidance please.

Bill AD8P