[TenTec] Opinions wanted please about getting a second qrp rig

jones_winston at bellsouth.net jones_winston at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 12 12:16:18 EST 2007

I have a Scout 555 which I have used for mobile. It's a good mobile rig, small, light, easy to mount and
takes litlle power. The best thing, from a mobile standpoint, is that you don't have to take your eyes off
the road to operate since there's very few controls. Just set the mike gain and push the button to talk.
The band modules are a small hassle, but since I used single band, hamstick-type antennas, I simply
changed modules when I changed antennas. The 50 watts is a little light on 40 and 75 meters, but OK
on higher bands. I once worked a Russian station on 17 meters with it. I have a foam-lined carrying
case which holds eight band modules, with one always in the rig. I recommend it for a fun, light, easy
to use rig. No menus, function keys or other fancy stuff. I find it an occasional pleasant change from my
Jupiter home rig.

73, Winston K4CWQ