[TenTec] Scout and QRP

Peg Haese KB9LIE kb9lie at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 12:59:20 EST 2007

Frank, you could also look for an Argo 556 which is the same as a Scout
but just 5 watts. Uses the same modules, which can be hard to find if
you like anything besides 80, 40, 20, 15, or 10, as those are the most
common.

If you want to operate much of a split for DXing, the Scout does not
have a second VFO. On CW that may not be a problem.

The Scout has a really good receiver and is very simple to operate. I
got one for my first HF rig and still have it, despite adding a Jupiter
and Omni V. It was a good learner rig but I need the second VFO.

Ten-Tec often has Scouts and Argos with modules and sometimes the
hard-to-find noise blanker on their bi-weekly sales list. The specific
modules included are listed for each sale rig.

Good luck! I worked quite a few countries mobile with my Scout and
monoband hamsticks. Bands were better then, which helped.

Peg KB9LIE in snowy SW Wisconsin

--- wb5jvt at aol.com wrote:

Can someone tell me good and bad point of a Tentec Scout 555.
Definitely want a Tentec for 2nd rig. Mostly CW.